Friday, August 23, 2013

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom Review



The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom


Review


I am reading this book, and even though it is a small book, when I finish page 129, I start over again on page 1. I have been reading it for about five years fifteen years now, and I suspect I will continue reading it for as long as I can read. A few pages at a time is more than enough to give me something to kick around in my head for a few days. 

The book could be tagged as a self-growth book, but that is too limiting. It is a book that challenges one to live up to four simple truths, and offers transformational results as a result if one could live a life completely engaged in the four agreements. They are so concise that I can state them here. 1) Be impeccable with your word. 2) Don't take anything personally. 3) Don't make assumptions. 4) Always do your best. Simple huh? Track a day and see how many times you disagree (in your actions or your mind) with Don Ruiz. To my constant amazement, I find myself stumbling over one or another of these agreements with some regularity. So it helps to remind myself by the occasional reread.

I am not reading with a hope that I will attain some mystical state, but I read because I find the author's explanation of how our mind, our society, and importantly, our relationships work to be insightful even though it is based on a paradigm that is completely outside my heritage of growing up in a small New England town. 

I don't like hypothetical questions, but there is no doubt that this is one powerful and wonderful book that deserves a wide reading audience by anyone who is interested in one of the old ones: "What is the meaning of life?" 

Reading this book, I have started to formulate a good answer to that question. It's about time I would say. I have had a chance to live long enough that I should be able to answer that one. It is 2013, ten years after I wrote this first review, and the book is still on my nightstand by my bed. It is a good read.